Monday, July 21, 2014

Right Now



Right now, I'm...

...puttin' up! In the last week or so, I've made super green veggie powder, fermented swiss chard stems, brined onions, frozen and canned peaches, peach country wine, blackberry wine, our first onion braid (currently curing on a nail in the pantry), garden salsa, and on the list for this week is grape jelly, something else with the last of the onions, and sauerkraut!
...doing a happy dance because a second chicken has started laying eggs! Two eggs per day from our sweet little ladies, it's crazy how happy that makes me.
...reading about summertime cover crops for the garden in my latest Mother Earth News and thinking about planting some buckwheat this week.
...stealing a few minutes here and there to start planning the fall garden and set up a crop rotation schedule (don't I sound all official and pro-fesh-on-all?).
...trying hard not to pine for a clothes line right now... but this summer sun! The energy waste with this dryer! The smell of sheets full of fresh air! But...but...but... not yet, self, slow and steady wins the race, delayed gratification, blah blah blah. *sigh*
...realizing that truly, right now, I sound like a country bumpkin with this list!
...also realizing I've been kinda heavy-handed with the italics in this post. Ah well. 

Right now, I think I have my head out in the garden and fields because of this amazing weather. 'They' say it will be gone by the time the sun gets up today, but wow was this past week and weekend wonderful. It'll be same old same old in no time, but a brief break, the chance to be outside during the day, and the work we got done around the place is keeping my mind out in the sun this morning.

Alas, there are plenty of things needing attention in our air-conditioned spaces, so the garden must go back to being visited in dawn and dusk hours, and we must fall back in line with Living In Texas In July.

Happy Monday in July.

I wonder when I can get started planting cabbage...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment