Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Banana Cake


I wish I could have found a recipe somewhere out there in the world wide web for a light, fluffy banana cake. A cake that has the texture of any other cake... but with all the qualities you'd expect from something bragging "banana." I wish... but I didn't. Instead, I had to take a little from here, a little from there, and then add in what I felt belonged.

If I had found something perfect, however, I would never have felt half the satisfaction I did with this most perfect recipe. It turned out perfectly. Perfect.

Henry's Banana Birthday Cake

1/2 C butter
1 1/2 (scant) C sugar
2 large eggs
2 C cake flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
3/4 tsp baking soda, added to bananas

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease pans (don't use glass- this cake browns very quickly). Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla. Sift first cup of flour into large bowl, then add salt and baking powder to second cup of flour and sift together into bowl. Puree bananas with buttermilk, then mix in baking soda. Alternate adding flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden around edges and set in the middle.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 stick butter, room temp
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
1 lb (ish) powdered sugar
1 generous tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients with electric mixer until light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment