Monday, February 19, 2018
I went down south to my hometown this past weekend to help a family member with a feral bee hive he'd discovered on his property. It was an amazing natural-comb hive that had more than seven sections easily over 12" long, and despite being untended and mid-February, they still had some stored honey and a decent population.
It took us almost 2 hours to cut them all out and get them installed in their new hive, mainly because we figured out mid-removal that they were balled up inside a piece of the old satellite dish they'd chosen for their home, and we had to cut and tear it apart to get them all.
I left them perfectly installed in their new Langstroth hive under the supervision of their very enthusiastic new beekeepers, and I feel very optimistic that they have a pretty darn good chance. I can't wait to hear how they're looking in a couple weeks... I hope they like their new digs and stick around!