Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Seeds!


I was an early bird this year and got all my spring garden seeds ordered first thing (last year they were sold out of several varieties I'd lusted after because I'd waited too long). Happily- because I ordered so early- not only did I get exactly what I wanted, but my seeds have already come in!

Here's what I'll be trying to grow just as soon as it's warm enough:

Golden Butterwax Beans
Purple Podded Pole Beans
Dragon Tongue Bush Beans (a reoccurring fav of ours)
Chinese Green Noodle Beans (we tried the purple ones last year)
Rattlesnake Pole Beans
Landreth Stringless Beans
Desi Summer Squash
Sweet Dumpling Squash
Golden Zucchini Squash (new fav after last years' success)
Dragon's Egg Cucumbers
Muncher Cucumbers
Biet Alpha Cucumbers
Golden Beets
Albino Beets
Five Color Silverbeets (aka Rainbow Chard)
Country Gentleman Sweet Corn
Strawberry Popcorn
Purple Tomatillo
Tomatillo Verde
Amarillo Carrots
Parisienne Carrots
Black Nebula Carrots (always sold out in previous years!)
Chinese Red Meat Radish (aka Watermelon Radish)
Borage
Emily's Basil
Tall Trailing Mixed Nasturtiums
Tom Thumb Mixed Strawflowers
Fantazja Sunflowers
Mixed Orach
Galilee Spinach
Violaceo di Verona Cabbage (for fall)
Brunswick Cabbage (for fall)
Groninger Brussels Sprouts (for fall)

I've also ordered three live miniature kiwi plants, which are supposed to ship by the end of February. I'm hoping that won't be too late in our area to get them started, because wouldn't mini-kiwis be so cool? 

(If you're wondering, all of my seeds this year are from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)

Last year turned out to be such an unexpectedly good year, and I've been working hard to keep the soil on the upswing so we might find success again this spring. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sit still knowing my seeds are waiting for me out in the laundry room in their dark box... I'm just itching to tuck a few of them into the ground! Maybe that cold-hearty spinach could stand a few cold Texas winter days...?

No comments:

Post a Comment