Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Early to Rise

Weird dreams.

Temperature swings.

Alarm clocks.

Family pets.

Children.

Neighbors.

There are one thousand reasons why I may end up waking earlier than I ever would have thought possible only a few short years ago. Enough reasons, in fact, that you can't take them all out of the equation on any given morning. More often than not, I'm up early.

The funny thing is- I don't regret it. I don't regret getting up early. I relish it. I enjoy that time when there is lingering stillness from the night, when there is still a coolness to the air, and when no one needs anything from me, even if it's only for a little bit.


I like the chance I get to think... think about dreams, think about the plans for the day, think about nothing at all. I like the chance I get to breathe... deep breaths, slow breaths, mindful breaths. I like the chance I get to choose to get ahead in to-do lists, or just sit.


It doesn't take long for the time to come when I am joined by the Others in the house- breakfast is needed, chores are waiting, errands need running, business as usual... but the time that I claim between my waking and the rise of the rest of the house has become a time I treasure just for me, and for that pause, learning to become an early riser has been so worth it.


Early to bed
Early to rise
Makes a [gal] healthy, wealthy, and wise.
~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment