Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In The Clatter of My Kitchen

"The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer,
and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen,
while several persons are at the same time calling for different things,
I possess God in as great tranquility as if
I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament."
~Brother Lawrence, seventeenth century monk and mystic,
as quoted in Laurel's Kitchen

According to Gandhi, any work we do for a selfless goal, without the thought of profit, is a form of prayer. 

It matters not who you pray to.

It matters not who you believe hears you.

It doesn't even matter what the job actually is.

It only matters that you do the work with attention and care to detail, with a peaceful mind and a joy for the task at hand, remaining in the moment... and in approaching your work in this light, every action has the potential to become an act of love- a work of art. 


No comments:

Post a Comment