Sunday, June 24, 2012

Zucchini Cake

IF my garden were thriving, I'd like to imagine I'd be swimming in zucchini. Alas, the squash in my garden, suffering from powdery mildew this season, get to about the 2" mark, turn yellow, shrivel pathetically, and fall off the vine.

A local organic farm we have started frequenting, however, is producing the long green beauties we so desire in profound excess. Lucky me! I can get them for fifty cents a pound, and I do!

Karen, the farmer's wife, is always making something tantalizing, aromatic, and based on their home-grown produce every time we come with empty shopping bags. The last time we visited, she was telling me about a decadent chocolate cake she'd made, and in a teasing way, she complained that she'd barely gotten any of it because her husband, Larry, had polished off almost the entire thing.

Oh, the moistness, he bragged, the rich crumb!

What did Karen have to say about it, with a sweet smirk?

"It's full of zucchini."

Ah-ha.

So home I went, with a bag full of zucchini, to the cookbooks! However, nothing suited my fancy... each recipe I could find had something added or lacking that I didn't like... and half of them weren't even chocolate! No problem- out came my pencil and paper, and a few pages (both paper and web) later, here's what I came up with:

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 C cake flour, sifted together with:
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 C unsweetened cocoa powder

In a separate bowl, mix til fluffy:
4 eggs, at room temp
3 sticks butter, also at room temp
2 C (scant) sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp instant coffee granules

Aaand on the side, finely grate 3 cups fresh zucchini (about 3 small).

Add sifted flour mixture to fluffy butter mixture, and after combined, fold in zucchini. Pour in to a greased 9x13 pan and bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely to frost, OR while still hot, sprinkle with dark chocolate chips, and spread over cake as they melt (awesome).


No comments:

Post a Comment