Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Fall 'Maters




The fall tomatoes are coming in, y'all! I've never had this good of a tomato year, ever. There's always too harsh of a drought over the summer or too early of a freeze in the beginning of the fall... but not this year! I can't believe it, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth...


...and so with gratitude I processed a second generation of tomatoes this morning, and actually got to put up some jars of homemade salsa that I'd given up hope of having this year!



Our first yellow "Lemon Boy" tomato salsa, with homegrown tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. I know I'm gushing but I still can't believe it. And if the weather holds, there might be even more coming in soon, because there are just so many green ones still out there (although we did break the 30-something-degree seal last night, so this high could be short lived).

In the off-chance I am making this again soon, I'm making a note today of the recipe that seemed to work the best so far:

Fresh Tomato Salsa
made 4 1/2 pints

3lbs fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped (weight after seeding)
1 large onion
3 banana peppers (or 2 jalapenos)
 1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 TBS salt
1/4 cup (scant) sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
pinch of oregano
chopped cilantro (optional)

Dissolve sugar and salt into vinegar in non-reactive pot over low heat. Add chopped tomatoes, onions, and peppers along with spices and bring to simmer. Simmer about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, add cilantro (if using), ladle into hot, sterilized jars, wipe rims, secure lids, and process via boiling water method for 15 minutes.


Aaaaaaand then, try not to eat it all immediately.

Thanks, fall 'maters!

No comments:

Post a Comment