Thursday, January 9, 2014

Love the Gray

It's gray, chilly, and damp here today. This moisture is supposed to be coming from a 'warming trend,' but to me it is just serving to make the chill go straight to my bones. I'm not getting the warming part. Maybe by the weekend.


Fortunately for me, I happen to love this kind of gray, misty, chilly weather. I love the way the drizzle brings out the deep colors that are part of our winter landscape. I love how much more stark the naked trees look when they're silhouetted against the chilly haze. I love the damp, cold, earthy smell of the decaying fall leaves, the dry and dormant grasses, and the exposed tree bark. I love how fluffy all the cold little birds look as they hop around, looking for berries and seeds. I love the solitude, as not many other people get out when the weather's like this.

Well, not many people other than my people, anyway...



I also love how much warmer inside can feel once you've been outside, say, digging holes for no apparent reason. But most of all, I think it's easy for us to love the gray because around these parts, it is so fleeting.

Here's to loving what you have, for it all- in time- will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment