Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Potager Progress

I'm happy to report that my little kitchen garden is coming along nicely. I have to take a moment to express how pleased I am with it's progress; there once was a time when my attention to a plant was basically a death sentence. Now, happily, I am sustaining almost everything I planted! Almost everything, you say? Yes, well, my chamomile didn't germinate, and I have since figured out I didn't treat the seeds like they needed to be treated. Never fear, though- I'll have chamomile next year, darnit!

One of my most favorite things to do in the morning (pre- Audrey waking up, post- coffee), is to walk out to my little potager squares and look for new sprouts, buds, and blossoms. It's hard to believe how quickly the aches & pains of building the raised beds have faded into the past! It's also quite amazing to compare the before...


...to the after:



These are a few pics I took this morning of the garden and surrounding plantings, after it had been raining all night:


Align Center
Zucchini growing by the back fence


Watermelon


Radishes around a tomato plant, with baby basil growing under them


A wee tomato


Tomatoes, marigolds, and soggy petunias, with basil and carrot sprouts


Bush beans, onions, dill, and marigolds, with an eggplant on one corner, and a jalapeño on the other


Eggplant #1 with a baby eggplant slowly turning purple


Eggplant #2, with another baby eggplant, not quite as purple


More beans, more dill, another jalapeño, spinach, and in the background, beets


The herb garden, close to the house, with 2 kinds of rosemary and a patch of oregano


The rosemary... they've doubled in size since last fall


Thyme, with 3 garlic sprouts behind it

1 comment: