Saturday, September 19, 2020

A Surprise Discovery

 Among the poison ivy and blackberries tangled together around the edge of our little pond are some very tenacious trees. Most of them are easy to identify- a globe willow or two, a hackberry grove, a sapling pecan. However, every spring a stand of something unidentifiable flowers and then never produces any noticeable fruit... that is, until this year... 




They are native persimmons! I can't believe we've never noticed them before, this must just be a good year for them? All this time, wondering what that flowering tree was that looked almost like a plum but not quite, living happily with it's roots halfway underwater and never seeming stressed... a persimmon!


I was so excited when I realized what they were, so I picked a few and brought them up to the house. They are full of huge seeds (which, based on this article, can predict the weather apparently? We may have to go pick another one and see!) and are still very bitter. According to my mom, they won't be sweet enough to enjoy until after the first frost, and let me tell you we will happily leave them alone until then.


I'm still excited about them, though... even if I'm the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment