Friday, July 31, 2015

10 Things at the End of July

This morning I have one Little sleeping in, one Little up early choosing and packing beloved toys for a weekend away at Mimmy and Pappy's house, and a hazy sunrise piercing through the trees and across my keyboard.

My coffee's half gone, there are muffins in the oven, and my thoughts are all over the place. So... ten things that have my attention this morning:

1. This book- I read about it in Mother Earth News Magazine and ordered it promptly. I actually had to sign for it when it was delivered, and now a friend of mine thinks I'm on a government watch list or something (ha ha), but so far it's been a mind-blowing read. I'm thinking about donating it to our local library when I'm done, because I think everyone should read it.

2. My fall garden- in the next couple weeks I'll be digging out seeds and reawakening the beds I put to sleep for our no-grow summer season. I'm hoping the heat we're having right now will ramp back down (at least a little!) by the time I get out there so my seed babies won't be roasted in their beds before they germinate!

3. Halloween costumes- OK, so it's not even technically August yet... but I can't help it! Look at some of these!

4. Baking- I'm wondering if, while the oven is still hot, I should make some zucchini cake. It just wouldn't feel like summer without making at least one, right? I owe it to summer. Yes.

5. Wall art! Look at this thing... how cool?! I want to find a small wall-hanging sculpture of some kind to complete a spot near our game table area that needs just a little something. It's been fun looking... and the search continues.

6. This article on 'vintage advertisements.' 

7. Back-to-School stuff. Yes, it's finally time. In fact we'll probably be planning a trip out to get the supplies on Audrey's school list for the first grade some time this coming week. Also thinking about making a new stack of lunchbox notes like I did last year, because now I've created an expectation for them.

8. Date night- with the kids at my parent's house this weekend, the hubs and I are hittin' the town with friends Saturday night! Now I have to decide what to wear, what to do with my hair, and if I'm going to repaint my toes in this free time I'll have this afternoon!

9. Pie. Everyone is making pie right now, because everyone has a surplus of berries right now. Everyone but me. It's kinda sad. I think I may get out tomorrow and see if anyone at the farmers' market has any they'd like to share. I think I want some pie.

10. How I'm going to clean out the blow-up water slide. It's been up 2-3 days at a time almost every weekend since we got it, and when we've deflated it we haven't been able to completely drain it, so it's getting a little gross. I bailed out the extra water this last time, and it's now inflated to enable maximum evaporation... but there's still sand and stuff in it, so maybe next I'll go out and sweep? Where did the care and maintenance manual go...........?

OK, I guess it's time I try and focus on something... like feeding the Littles and getting them out the door to Mimmy's house! Everything else will have it's turn later.

Especially pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment