Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Leaf Season


I can't help but be awed by the gazillions of leaves that have blanketed everything- suddenly- and mostly in the last few days. It's like all the trees were holding out for some imperceptible cue, and then loosed their canopies all at once.

The curve in our driveway that loops under big old oaks in the front is almost completely hidden under a crunchy copper blanket. The vibrant green winter rye in our clearing is now broken up and slowly disappearing under swaths of muted browns. And every time I go anywhere in my car, I have to first put up with the purge of leaves in every shape that fly from around windshield wipers, bug guards, and pretty much any other nook.

I'm definitely set for chicken run bedding and garden mulch, though, so I'm certainly not complaining.

I also love how irresistible the daily fresh mounds of leaves are to my school girl and her little bro as soon as they set foot back home in the afternoons.



The weather around these parts may not always follow our expectation for the seasons, but the leaves never disappoint... and one thing is for sure: we love leaf season.

No comments:

Post a Comment