Thursday, October 10, 2013

Something Simple







I have been reading Chop Wood Carry Water: A Guide to Finding Spiritual Fulfillment in Everyday Life by Rick Fields, respectively. I came across it at a thrift store, and it seemed like more than coincidence, so I bought it (for fifty cents). 

In the first chapter, Abraham Maslow is sighted in an explanation of 'peak experiences,' wherein people experience "...pure, positive happiness when all doubts, all fears, all inhibitions, all tensions, all weaknesses, were left behind." He says people experiencing this were "far more common than [he] had ever expected... as a matter of fact, [he] suspect[s] they occur in practically everybody although without being recognized or accepted for what they are."

I read the first chapter yesterday, then I went outside to play with my kids.

It's funny how something simple can point out to you something so big, make something so obvious, that before was so taken for granted... have you ever noticed that?

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself:
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today.
I can choose which it shall be.
Yesterday is dead.
Tomorrow hasn't arrived yet.
I have just one day, today, and I am going to be happy in it."
~Groucho Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment