Thursday, November 3, 2016

10 Things

A few things on this gray and muggy Thursday:


























1.Spring garden planning is in full swing right now, thanks to a weekend of quick and decisive destruction (bye-bye giant weeds, hello blank slate garden plot!). I'm being heavily influenced by this book, if anyone's interested.

2.We finally connected with someone to come cut hay in our field and take on the hay lease. It has made for much easier walking (now that the grass is short) and much fun on the bale left behind for us...



3. Is anyone participating in Positively Present's 30 Days of Gratitude this month? I'd love to see what you come up with! I've decided to follow the rules this year (first time evah) and am posting daily via my Instagram account. Come play along! (See my all-at-once-style previous challenges here: 2015, 2014, 2013)

4. My girl and I have started planning treats to bring to our family Thanksgiving meals, and this year I've decided to pass on to her my vintage Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cook Book. It's so fun to see which recipes she's drawn to, and remember which ones were my favorites. I can't wait to see what she decides to make this year! (We have a right of passage in our family- you have to be six and able to read before you get to have your own recipe book; Bubba still helps but he doesn't get to have his own books and make his own plans until next year)


5. We've started experimenting with our beeswax and a lot of our inspiration has come from this helpful blog. Our most successful concoctions will become gifts this upcoming holiday.

6. I'm a bit obsessed with apples at the moment- which I don't feel bad about at all because they're in season and everywhere and cheap!- and am planning some apple pie making soon... but am also eyeballing this recipe and thinking I might just have to go back to the store for more. Oh how I look forward to when our own apple trees are big enough to produce apples!

7. My girl lost another tooth this week, and has started asking what will happen if she looses all her teeth all at once before the permanent teeth have a chance to grow back in (she forgets she has quite a few permanent teeth already). She has no interest in the tooth fairy and insists on storing her teeth for herself. I'm thinking she might need a little treasure box in her stocking for those she doesn't loose between now and then.


























8. I've been scouring the interwebs for recipes using honey... both beekeeping clubs I belong to will be holding potluck meetings in December to celebrate the holidays, and I would love to bring something honey-centric. I have a few recipes bookmarked, but the search continues. Any recommendations?

9. As I have been writing this post, I've been hearing the weirdest scraping, dragging, whistling sound. It kinda sounded like it was coming from outside, but I just now realized: I've been hearing my cat snore. So there's that going on, too.

10. We had a "cold" front blow through last night which brought some much-needed rain but didn't cool things down much... I'm dying for temps that don't require the air conditioner so I can dive in to this hot drinks list and start working my way through it!

And that's about all on this dull Thursday morning! Now I'm off for more coffee and some pie makin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment