Tuesday, September 2, 2014

They Be Loose!





They be loose, y'all! This morning while working in the garden with our customary 2-3 girls out and about, Henry looked up and said, "Mama, there's a chickie out!" Then I said, "Yeah, Henny, we have three out!" aaaand then I looked over my shoulder... and there was a girl out of the garden, halfway to the house.

Once the seal is broken and they know they can fly over the fence, it's all over.

So with Henry's help and my kitchen scissors, we cut all their flight feathers on their right wings and let 'em all out. No more onesie-twosies- now the coop is open. Might as well, no? I'd been meaning to clip them so they could forage, anyway, but had been putting it off. Now my garden has a better crop of weeds than anything else, and it's crawling- er, hopping- with grasshoppers. They need to get to work for me!

Our new rhythm will now include letting the girls out in the morning and shutting them in at night, and that, my friends, feels like we're on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment