Saturday, May 24, 2014

Turmeric and Ginger Iced Tea

Holy cow, y'all. Have you heard all this jazz about the amazingness of turmeric? I don't know how I've missed out this whole time, but I'll do my darndest to catch right on up.

Even good old Dr. Andrew Weil has something to say about it, so you know it's gotta be aaaaaall goooood.

It didn't take many articles singing the praises of turmeric to convince me to try some, and the easiest and most convenient way for me to try the fresh roots was in the form of tea.

Turmeric and ginger are related, and their flavors are very complimentary. To me turmeric is kinda spicy-citrus-y, so adding a gingery kick makes total sense (and it really is good).


So, to make a refreshing, healthful, safe-to-share-with-kids tea (hot or iced), all you need is a finger-sized root of fresh turmeric, the equivalent amount of fresh ginger (or less if you want something a bit more mild), and about 4 cups of boiling water.

Thinly slice 1-2 inches of the turmeric and at least 1 inch of ginger and drop into a heat-safe container (I use wide-mouth canning jars). Pour boiling water over slices and allow to steep for a minimum of 15 minutes. Thirty minutes would be better. An hour- or until it cooled all the way down to room temperature- would be best.


Look at that amazing color (needless to say, watch out- it'll stain)! Strain out the chunks once your tea has reached the desired strength and toss 'em in the compost. Put remaining roots in airtight containers or zip-top bags and freeze 'em until you need another fix. I like mine over ice, but it is a very aromatic hot tea as well, so try both and see which is best... but there's no question, they'll both be good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment