Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chocolate for Dinner

A growing tradition for me and the kiddos is to have breakfast for dinner when Daddy's not home to eat with us. More specifically, pancakes for dinner. If it were up to me, quite frankly, pancakes would have their own food group. They are one of my all-time favorite foods. I have a master recipe I follow most of the time, but tonight we went a little wild and made chocolate pancakes. I didn't use much of a recipe, so I wanted to jump on here and jot it all down before I forgot... we'll be wanting these again real soon!

Chocolate Pancakes

1/2 C rye flour
1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 C buckwheat flour
1/4 C coconut flour*
~1/4 C cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C fat-free milk
1 C light sour cream
2 generous TBS honey
2 large eggs
2 TBS melted coconut oil*
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat pan/griddle to 350 degrees (medium heat). Mix dry in large bowl, wet in smaller bowl, and add wet to dry, stirring just until combined (lumps are OK). Lightly spray hot griddle with non-stick spray, then *carefully* wipe it off with a clean, dry wash cloth. Pour batter in 1/4-C scoops onto griddle, cook until bubbles form, pop, and remain (they don't get filled in immediately), and flip. Cook about 60 more seconds, then remove to a plate and cover til all batter used. Serve warm with butter! (if I weren't serving these to my Littles, I would have added dark chocolate chips, too, because that would have been AWESOME)

These turn out very light, with a soft, cake-like center that is almost creamy, but not in a gross under-cooked sense of the word. They're amazing. I hope you try them... we will certainly be trying them again! This recipe made about 16 or 18 pancakes.



*Note: if you don't have coconut flour, or you're not interested in trying it, you can just leave it out and reduce the milk to 1 cup. Also, if you don't have coconut oil or want to avoid it because of it's strong flavor, you can sub any other oil- veg, canola, melted butter... just don't do olive oil!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy. I also like breakfast for dinner. Always a special treat.

    ReplyDelete