Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Welcome, Henry!

After 42 weeks and 2 days, our little Henry Warden Ware finally joined our family. Granted, he had to be kicked out, but he was well past ready, and we were too!

On Monday the 4th, after over an hour of tests and assessments, it was decided that Henry's cozy little environment had a looming expiration date. We started looking at the calendar, and Thursday the 7th was decided on (based on the test results). He had 3 days to come out on his own, or he was being evicted. We all know how that went... this little laid-back guy wasn't in any hurry, and when Thursday morning rolled around, we were loading up and heading to the hospital, bright and early.

Grammy and Gramps had come up the night before to start the Audrey-sitting marathon, and we pulled in to the hospital parking lot at 7am. After checking in and settling, the induction commenced around 8am.

Waiting on the doc's OK to start the pitosin drip

We gradually ramped up through the morning, and just after lunch my water broke all by itself (not counting the pitosin). At 3:07pm, Henry joined us, at a healthy 8 pounds 8 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long. How validating- a nice big boy for our trouble. I was able to labor without meds again, but wow, was this labor different from last time! I've said it once and I'll say it again: I'll never judge someone for doing the epidural thing. Ever. Whew.

Henry Warden Ware, 8lbs 8oz, 20.5 inches long

Proud Daddy

Tired Mama

My parents had met us at the hospital, and had waited through the afternoon to be the first to meet Baby Henry. Once everyone was cleared for visitors, Henry got to check out his Mimmy and Pappy. 

First meeting

Henry meets his great-grandparents shortly after
We settled in to our hospital room for the mandatory 2-night stay, and occupied ourselves with getting to know our little man. We received many a beautiful bouquet, and even one of those 'edible arrangements' that I so often make fun of for their terrible commercials (though the fruit was awesome and quite unexpected and great!). 

Thanks to my dad's coworkers, an Edible Arrangement delivered to our room!

Henry's stats

Our Sweet Little Guy
Finally, our two nights were up and we were cleared to head home. Daddy strapped Henry in to his car seat (it's easy to forget how squishy they start out!), and we happily rode the 16-minute trip back home with Little Brother in tow.

Daddy buckles Henry in for his first ride

So small

Squishy little guy
Waiting for us at home were both our parents, a clean house, and a homemade lunch. Audrey was napping when we arrived, so we were able to settle in, eat, and relax a little before introductions were to be made.

Pappy holds Henry while lunch is getting ready

Our welcome home lunch

Henry naps while we settle in

It was a tearful reunion when Audrey woke up from her nap (we really missed her!), then it was time to introduce her to her Little Brother "Henny". She was really, really happy to meet him, and I think it was mutual, Henry was just very stoic...

By the end of the day, we were all happy and tired and happy, and we watched Finding Nemo (aka "Mee-Mo Fish") as a family of four, put Audrey to bed, and concluded phase one of Getting Used to Things. We are still adjusting, finding rhythm and balance, and learning, but we wouldn't have it any other way. We are so blessed.


  1. Gorgeous story! I am so happy for you and your family Courtney! The pictures with Henry and Audrey are *adorable*.

    I've heard many people say that labor is completely different when you're on pitocin as it strengthens the contractions. I had it for my first, not for my second and I didn't really notice a difference but both ended in c-section so I didn't get to experience the really painful part of labor. ;)

    I'm glad Henry finally arrived big and healthy!

  2. Yay!! I'm so happy for yall! :) Congrats again!