Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spring Fever


This morning, I got up a little earlier than usual, got stuff going (laundry, coffee, breakfast...), opened the back door wide, and stepped out onto the porch. The air was fresh and crisp, with a cool breeze still blowing from the little cold front that blew through a couple days ago. Something about cool, early spring air reminds me of walking the campus at my Alma Mater, and I stood out on the back patio remembering my frequent, early walks all over University.


As the long morning shadows slowly shrank into the brightening sunshine, I did my best to feel my feet on the ground, hear the birds, and soak in the little things around me that makes this small spot in our neighborhood ours.
 



It's hard to explain, but there's something deep within me that feels restless... maybe it's that little piece we all have, leftover from all those years of evolution when our very survival depended on keeping pace with the natural world around us, that's awakening and longing to stretch and reveal brighter colors and more vibrant fullness... Maybe it's intuition- sensing another scorching summer fast approaching- crying for action, production, and attention to everything within grasp in this moment before it all becomes abruptly inaccessible, just as one's environment might be affected by a blizzard.

Maybe it's something still intangible, though it seems palpable enough to start a tingling of the senses, a wandering of the eye, and an almost urgent racing of thought to place a point of origin on this spark that's filling me up.

This call to action... this feeling of change... this springtime restlessness that may become irrepressible sooner rather than later... so much on the to-do list, yet so much uninspiring.

So I sip hot coffee and force myself to stay in the moment, to keep my mind open to whatever cue might reveal itself and explain this undefined feeling of anticipation. Maybe something great this way comes... and maybe I'm just picking up on the energy of the season... there certainly seems to be enough of that to go around...






"It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - 
oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, 
but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"  ~Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment