Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Going For It: The Oil Cleansing Method

Lately, I've found myself drawn to do-it-yourself, enviro-friendly, sustainable, and generally green blogs and websites. I've found several that I've really come to enjoy, my latest fav being this one. Among other posts, a few that she's written on eliminating the chemical-based, harsh, problem-creating cleansers most of us use in our daily hygienic routines have struck my fancy (especially after doing a little research outside her blog and confirming the facts and pros/cons behind the ones that interest me the most). So much so, in fact, that I'm going for it... I'm going to give the oil cleansing method a try.

Throughout middle school, I struggled with my complexion. At that time, I just figured my options were tough it out and tough it out. Eventually, things evened out, and everything was basically fine. To be honest, I've never really had a skin care routine, so I had that going for me, too... anyho, then during my last pregnancy, my issues came back with a vengeance, and I started using astringent cleansers and- eventually- a prescription treatment. Somewhere during the third trimester, things once again cleared up, and everything seemed back to 'normal.' Well, lo and behold, I'm about to turn 30, and guess what I get for it? Skin problems. Again. I mean, honestly, if I have to be 30, I should at least get decent, clear, stable skin. Buh.

Yesterday, I called my Doc and started the ball rolling to get back on that prescription treatment... then I read about the oil cleansing method, and the logic behind it. Well, hmmm... could this potentially work for me? It all seems to make sense... "Like dissolves like," she says, and you know what? I think I'm gonna put that to the test. So here we go.

Within the how-to post, there is a list of oils, the types of skin they should be used on, and the ratios in which one should use them. I've chosen castor oil, olive oil, and avocado oil (actually, I would have preferred jojoba oil instead of avocado, but my local health foods store didn't have it, so I settled on the runner up). I'm starting out with the ratio for 'normal' skin, and if I need to, I'll tweak it towards the 'oily' combo if my problem areas need it.

 
My first 'wash' will be tonight, and I've decided I'm going to use this treatment once a day, at night, with no other interventions, supplemental washes, or other products. When deciding to go for it, I set a $25 budget for getting started (the cost of the prescription I was going to start using again), and even with some liquid vitamin E for around my eyes, I did pretty good...

Forgive the wrinkles in the receipt, Henry tried to eat it.
This particular blog suggests giving this cleansing method one to two weeks for your skin to adjust from the astringent chemical cleansers you might be using to it's natural, balanced state. I've decided I'll use the 1:1 ratio for one week before I start tweaking it, and commit to two weeks before I decide if it's for me or not.


So here we go... here's my 'before' shot:

Notice all the blemishes on forehead and temples... sigh.
SO... let's go for it! Wanna join me? Visit the how-to blog, see if it's for you, and if you go for it, too, lemme know here in the comments OR on our facebook page (though I would totally understand if no one joins in until there is an 'after' post)!

Coming soon... I will also attempt to go shampooless! Just waiting on a haircut....

And on a final note, here is a pic Audrey drew of me taking a pic of myself (above), as she apparently is always watching. Enjoy.

1 comment: