Thursday, August 12, 2010

Time Keeps Slippin', Slippin'...

I feel like I can almost hear time passing. It's making a big sucking noise, and the breeze from it passing ruffles my clothes here and there when I actually notice it.

Audrey and I were drawing with sidewalk chalk and she asked me to draw some hearts. I drew three, and as I was looking for a different color, she said, "Oh, one two tree, tree hearts!" Feeling like it was a fluke (as quite often everything she counts is three, no matter how many are actually present), I added another heart and asked her how many there were. She responded, "One, two, tree, fow! Fow hearts!" I couldn't believe it. Suddenly, before my eyes, I was hearing her recite speeches, seeing her win spelling bees, and feeling her growing up way, way too fast! I had a sudden irrational urge to force her back in to her Boppy chair and shake rattles and teethers around her hands... I can still remember how exciting it was when she could move her hands in the general direction of a toy she wanted... and now...

What sticks out most in my mind is how often I get stuck in a day where I am wishing for patience, a fresh perspective, and for the day to pass to conclusion just a little faster. Yet before I know it, I look back and all those days are gone, and my little one is about to turn two years old. Mental note: stop it.

For now, I will continue to savor my time with my baby, fill her days with learning and growing, and when I look up again and she's heading off to college, I'll be proud that she's a responsible, loving, and beautiful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment